KRQE News 13 Investigative Reporter
Larry Barker’s name is synonymous with investigative reporting in New Mexico. Larry has led the KRQE News 13 investigative team since 2004.
Larry began his broadcasting career in 1975 at an Albuquerque radio station, and quickly moved on to television. He began as a producer, and his passion for uncovering scandals and wrong-doing soon led him into investigative reporting. Larry was a founding member of the ground-breaking “Target 7” team.
Larry’s award-winning investigative reports have exposed corruption, caught con men in the act, and helped change laws. Barker has traveled the world in his journalistic quest; tracking fugitive spies to Moscow, con men to the back streets of London, exposing hijackers hiding in Cuba, and following stories to Mexico, the Persian Gulf, and the Bahamas.
His work has been honored throughout his career by both his peers and professional organizations. He has received thirty-one Emmys from the Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Association of Television Arts and Sciences, five regional Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio and Television News Directors Association, four Best of the West awards, and more than a dozen awards from the New Mexico Associated Press Broadcasters.
In 2002, Larry was honored with the prestigious Silver Circle Award for 25 years of service in television from the Rocky Mountain Southwest Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Prior to his television broadcasting career, Larry worked as a staff assistant in the United States Senate. In addition to his expertise as an investigative journalist, he has been a radio broadcaster at stations in both Prescott and Albuquerque. Larry is a graduate of Prescott College, in Prescott, Arizona. He is a native of St. Louis, Missouri, and has wanted to pursue a career in journalism ever since he worked on his high school newspaper.
Besides Larry Barker, the KRQE News 13 Investigative Team includes Producer Mark Corey, and Editor Ron Romero.
Larry Barker Archive
- Land owner getting paid after Hollywood blunder March 5, 2015
- Sticker shock: Secrets of hospital billing revealed February 24, 2015
- News 13 Investigation: The Red River Sting February 17, 2015
- Undercover Investigation: Lies, local sales and city incompetence February 10, 2015
- 13 Investigates: Bosses caught embezzling employee money February 3, 2015
- Teacher reinstated despite felony fraud charges January 7, 2015
- 2014 Best of Barker December 24, 2014
- Accused felon hired to teach at APS school November 25, 2014
- 13 investigates: Guardians of the Tomb November 18, 2014
- 13 investigates ABQ’s $50M headache November 11, 2014