KRQE News 13 Anchor Jessica Garate
Jessica Garate is the main evening anchor for KRQE News 13 at 5:30pm and 10pm. She also anchors the News 13 at 9pm newscast on our sister station 2 KASA.
She grew up in west Texas and Wyoming and graduated from the University of Wyoming with a B.A. in Broadcast Journalism. Her first break was with Wyoming Public Radio. Her career has also taken her to KTWO TV in Casper, Wyoming and KWES TV in Midland, Texas.
In more than a decade as a broadcast journalist, Jessica has covered everything from education to politics. She traveled to Russia when she learned about the impact a local human rights group had in the country. The series later aired globally. She won an Emmy Award for coverage of the death of University of Wyoming student, Matthew Shepard. She exposed a grade change scandal at Rio Grande High School winning the New Mexico Associated Press Award for Continuing Coverage. She also won several awards for her anchoring from the Texas Associated Press and Wyoming Association of Broadcasters.
Jessica and her husband moved to New Mexico in 2004 and fell in love with the state. She loves hanging out with her daughter, snowboarding, running in the bosque, playing golf, traveling, and chasing her crazy dog, Lucy.
Jessica Garate Archive
- Golden Apple Winner: Albino Garcia III April 15, 2015
- Golden Apple Winner: Doris G. Merzweiler April 13, 2015
- ‘El Dentista’ to serve 6 years in prison March 2, 2015
- Some parents opt out of PARCC Test February 23, 2015
- ABQ rally for Ferguson takes place, another planned November 25, 2014
- Obama spurns GOP with expansive immigration orders November 20, 2014
- T-shirts demand justice for Jasper November 19, 2014
- Search for families in holiday greeting video continues November 11, 2014
- Mayor Berry, feds sign off on deal November 10, 2014
- New dinosaur species discovered in NM September 24, 2014