It was crooked politics at its worst and it involved millions of stolen dollars. Between 1999 and 2004 a corrupt gang of thieves siphoned more than $4.3 million from the construction of the Metropolitan Court Building.
- See the Full Investigation: Metro Courthouse Scandal: Taxpayers still owed millions in restitution
A spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Albuquerque said the amount of restitution paid by defendants is not a matter of public record. However, the U.S. District Court Clerk’s Office and the U.S. Probation Office provided News 13 with an accounting of the restitution payments received from the Metro Court defendants as of November 3, 2017:
- Michael Murphy was ordered to pay $20,000 in restitution. That money has been paid.
- Manuel Guara’s $100,000 restitution has been paid.
- Raul Parra has also paid his court ordered restitution of $601,532.
- Sandra Martinez’s restitution order totaled $106,000. Martinez still owes the State of New Mexico $5,846.
- Manny Aragon is on the hook for $1,190,642. The former State Senator still owes $430,851 in restitution, and, the $87,316 fine.
- Marc Schiff’s court ordered restitution was $678,015. The architect’s unpaid balance is $446,719.
- Ken Schultz was ordered to re-pay the $591,370 he stole from taxpayers. Court records show the Ex-Mayor has paid $99,039.22 towards his court ordered restitution. Schultz’s $3000 fine is unpaid.
- The biggest chunk of unpaid restitution belongs to former Metro Court Administrator Toby Martinez. Martinez, who is now out of prison, was ordered to re-pay $2,710,818. To date Martinez has paid back $15,913 and still owes the State of New Mexico $2,694,904.