Pinch to zoom in and out
Map courtesy City of Albuquerque, Bureau of Land Management
More than half (61.7%) of bicycle crashes in Bernalillo County from 2008 to 2011 occurred on roadways without bicycle infrastructure.
Mid-Region Council of Governments
Top 5 Reasons for Walking Running or Cycling
- 38% Of adults in the United States are obese.
- 60% Of US adults do not meet recommended levels of physical activity and 25% are completely sedentary.
- The adult sedentary lifestyle in the US is estimated to contribute to as many as 255,000 preventable deaths per year.
- New Mexico data shows that at least a quarter of kindergarten children, and about a third of third graders are overweight or obese.
- For Workers 16 and over:
- 89.7% drive a car to their place of employment
- 2.4% walk to work
- 1% use public transportation
- 0.7% ride a bike to work
Top 3 Pedestrian and Bicycle Crash Facts
- New Mexico had the highest motor vehicle traffic pedestrian death rate in the US in 2012 which was almost 2 times higher (1.9) than the US rate.
- New Mexico had the second highest pedal cycle death rate in the US in 2012 which was almost 1.5 times higher than the US rate.
- Almost one fourth (24%) of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in 2012 were alcohol impaired (at or above .08 BAC)
- Centers for Disease Control
- US Surgeon General
- US Census Bureau
- New Mexico Epidemiology
- NM Department of Transportation