Tennessee family urges caution after Christmas lights lead to house fire

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – A  Columbia, Tenn. homeowner’s camera caught the moment their outside Christmas lights sparked a fire.

Now the family is urging people to use caution when decking the halls.

The homeowner says their smoke detector inside went off.

A house guest yelled “fire,” and the family was able to get most of the fire under control before crews arrived.

They believe keeping the lights in use around the clock could be what sparked the blaze.

Fire officials say to unplug your lights at night, keep a fire extinguisher handy. Fire officials also say make sure the ground isn’t too dry where you’re putting the lights at.

————

Send a Breaking News Tip

Report an error or typo

Learn about the KRQE apps

 

 

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s