ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – We’re just a couple days away from what’s expected to be a back-to-school frenzy at local stores.
This Friday through Monday you will be able to buy school supplies, clothes, electronics and other qualifying items without the sales tax.
- Tax-Free Holiday Full Item List
- Ways to get the most out of tax-free holiday weekend
- Unidos Project to give out free backpacks, school supplies to families in need
Non-taxable items include:
- Clothing and footwear $100 or less
- School supplies such as pens, paper, and other classroom necessities $30 or less
- Computers $1,000 or less
- Various computer accessories $500 or less
- See the full list »
Price limits are for each item, not the total amount spent for all purchases. During the tax-free weekend, New Mexico law provides a deduction from gross receipts for retail sales of qualifying items; in effect allowing retailers to sell the items free of GRT.
Walmart is showcasing its tax holiday specials for your young students through college-age kids. This weekend the retail giant will have back-to-school experts on hand to help customers.
Some additional perks for the tax-free holiday include curb-side and in-store pick-ups at most locations.