Federal safety regulators investigate teen’s bathtub death

LOVINGTON, N.M. (KRQE) – Federal safety regulators are investigating the death of a teenage girl who was electrocuted in her own bathtub.

Madison Coe, 14, died Sunday at her father’s house in Lovington.

Family members say Coe was found in a tub holding her Samsung 6 Edge Plus cellphone, which was plugged into an extension cord beside the bathtub.

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating to find out if any products played a role in her death.

Coe’s family has been open about the incident and hopes others will learn from it.

“My daughter said if this could save one life, that’s what matters,” Donna Pruitt O’Guinn, Coe’s grandmother, said.

Investigators have not said if the plug the phone was using had a GFI designed to prevent electrocutions.

KRQE.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s