FBI: Man accused of assault on flight is scheduled for court

FILE - In this July 28, 2014 file photo, a Delta Air Lines jet takes off from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Arlington, Va. Most restrictions on flights between the U.S. and Mexico will lift on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016, a change expected to bring more options and possibly lower prices for travelers. American, Delta and Southwest have already announced that they will offer new flights across the border later this year. United is watching the demand for flights and will respond accordingly, a spokesman said. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

SEATTLE (AP) — The Florida man accused of assaulting a flight attendant on a Delta Airlines flight from Seattle to Beijing on Thursday night is scheduled to appear in federal court on Friday, according to the FBI.

The 23-year-old man, whose name has not been released, was in the first-class section when he attacked the flight attendant about 45 minutes into the flight.

The flight attendant and another passenger from Delta Flight 129 were transported to Highline Hospital for the treatment of non-life threatening injuries, said Perry Cooper, a spokesman for Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Ayn Dietrich, an FBI spokeswoman, says the investigation is ongoing and more details about the incident will be provided in the charges to be announced at the man’s initial appearance in federal court at 2 p.m. Friday in Seattle.

After the attack started, passengers helped restrain the man until the plane landed back at Sea-Tac, and Port of Seattle police arrested the man, Cooper said.

“The passenger was restrained on board and was removed from the flight by law enforcement without further incident,” Delta said in a statement.

Passenger Dustin Jones was seated just behind the curtains that lead to first class, and said he could tell there was a scuffle happening.

“One of the flight attendants ran back and said there was a Code 3,” Jones told KIRO-TV. “There was a serious fight up front.”

Jones said he saw the man handcuffed and zip-tied being rolled into the terminal in a wheelchair after they had landed.

“He started yelling for help,” Jones said. “And so he turned the wheelchair over in the middle of the airport, screaming for people to help him, just being belligerent.”

The FBI and the Port of Seattle Police interviewed passengers. Airport officials said the incident was not thought to be a national security threat.

The flight left for Beijing later Thursday night.