1. Nearly a decade old cold case could be cracked. Police arrested 33-year-old Justin Hansen, who they say attacked Brittani Marcell, who was 17 at the time, in her northwest Albuquerque home in 2008. Marcell was in a coma for more than two weeks and had no memory of her attacker when she woke up. The case appeared on America’s Most Wanted after police had very little leads. Police say DNA helped tie Hansen to the crime. He is facing a number of charges Thursday morning including attempted murder and aggravated assault.
2. President Trump is now on his way to Germany after delivering a major address in Poland. Trump vowed to win the battle against extremism. Trump also met with the nation’s president and fielded questions about North Korea. He went on to say the United States has some “pretty severe things” that it’s thinking about. President Trump is set to meet with Russian President Vladamir Putin at the G20 summit in Germany.
3. A quiet and mild start with morning temperatures in the 50s, 60s and 70s under a mostly clear sky.
Full Story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Forecast
4. A new plan is in place, designed to help clean up crime in downtown Albuquerque. The plan is called “Downtown Action Plan.” The mayor says his goal is to avoid pushing the problem to other parts of the city by steering certain people to public services but also making arrests when necessary. The plan includes increased police patrols and street cleanup as well as partnerships with businesses and security providers.
Full Story: City announces new plan to fight downtown Albuquerque crime
5. New numbers are in that show tourism to New Mexico is on the rise. Governor Susana Martinez says people took a million more trips to the state last year than in 2015. It’s the fifth straight year of increases. Governor Martinez partly credits the New Mexico True marketing campaign.
Full Story: New Mexico unveils new tourism numbers
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Police ask for help finding missing 34-year-old woman
- 1 killed after deputy-involved shooting in southwest Albuquerque
- BCSO addresses lack of body cameras amid fatal shooting investigation
- Date set for former deputy Tai Chan’s third murder trial
- Murder suspect in court for separate shoplifting charge
- Major reconstruction project proposed for Santa Fe street
- BCSO issue alert for endangered missing person