Crews respond to large apartment fire in northeast Albuquerque

Carlisle Apartment Fire
Carlisle Apartment Fire (Nick Burke | KRQE)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The Albuquerque Fire Department responded to an apartment fire near Montgomery and Carlisle Tuesday morning.

AFD and paramedics were dispatched to the apartment complex at 4601 Carlisle NE around 11 a.m.

Several families are devastated that they no longer have a place to call home after flames tore through their apartment building Tuesday morning.

All that is left of one man and his family’s apartment is a damaged room, and just below that apartment, another resident said water damaged everything.

“I was driving like 90 close to 100 [miles per hour] trying to get here to make sure my family was okay,” resident Josh Mills said.

Firefighters were also concerned about residents inside the apartments.

“Our first priority was to get the apartments evacuated since we already had fire through the roof,” Deputy Fire Chief Chris Wade said.

Flames took over as people watched in fear and the anxiety grew as the fire and smoke continued to grow.

“Oh my God we lost our home. Everything we had in there,” resident Joe Thomas said.

But he wasn’t alone feeling the loss.

“We have been busting our butts working every day and now everything is gone. We have to start over,” Mills said.

Just as fast as flames tore through these apartments, residents knew they lost their cherished items. They said it was the last thing they expected.

“I was in disbelief. I thought it was a little small fire. I didn’t think it was going to be a big ole explosive. It looks like arson,” Mills said.

The Albuquerque Fire Department hasn’t released a cause yet. They said apartment fires like this don’t happen every day and the fire kept them on their toes.

“No one was hurt. One dog saved and one cat saved,” Chief Wade said.

AFD said four apartments were completely damaged in the fire and two others had water damage.

The fire did cause part of the roof to collapse. It took crews about a half hour to get the fire under control. The Red Cross was called out to help the families. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s