1. Police in Manchester have arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the bombing outside an Ariana Grande concert. Officials are calling it a terrorist attack. There are 22 people confirmed dead including children, while 50 others are hurt. Singer Ariana Grande was not injured in the attack. President Trump is also speaking out slamming those who carried out the attack and calling them “evil losers” who preyed on “innocent children.”
2. Both sides are expected to present closing arguments in the retrial of a Santa Fe County Deputy accused of murdering a fellow deputy. Afterward, the jury is expected to begin deliberating Tai Chan’s fate. Chan himself took the stand on Friday before a three-day recess claiming he killed Jeremy Martin because he didn’t know if the deputy also had a gun.
3. A much quieter day compared to Monday with mostly sunny conditions and mild (but cooler!) temperatures.
Full Story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. A special legislative session in Santa Fe is scheduled to begin Wednesday morning. Lawmakers are being called back to address the state budget and education funding and how to fill a roughly $150 million shortfall in revenue. As the APS school board passed a more than $1 billion as it calls for 52 positions to be cut. Some year-round workers, including administrators, will work four fewer days.
Full Story: Albuquerque Public Schools approves 2017-2018 budget
5. An Albuquerque teen with terminal cancer has a signed Lebron James jersey Tuesday morning after experiencing the moment of a lifetime. Kyle Osborn’s dying wish was to meet Lebron James. That caught the attention of a special wish foundation in Ohio. Kyle attended game three of the NBA conference finals and Lebron took the time to meet Kyle courtside.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Man allegedly connected to the drive-by shooting of teen girl expected in court
- New Mexico graduation performance garners thousands of views online
- Albuquerque realtor who allegedly ran over a man, indicted on murder charges
- Police seek suspects in elderly Albuquerque woman’s death
- Man pleads guilty to UNM gun scare incident
- Bernalillo County warns against property tax scam
- Albuquerque mechanic: Thieves targeting older, American-made vehicles
- Las Cruces man saves 8-year-old girl from drowning
- City reveals safety, cleanliness standards for public pools
- New Mexico judge defers judgment on education
- Carlsbad water park prepares to open for second season