1. President Trump boards Air Force One Friday leaving on his first international trip as commander in chief. He plans to visit five countries in a little over a week. Republicans are urging the president to embrace the special counsel investigation into Russian meddling. In a news conference Thursday, the president said he respects the move but also calls it a “witch hunt” and believes the investigation is dividing the country. The deputy attorney general who appointed the special counsel is set to meet with lawmakers Friday behind closed doors.
Full Story: Trump heads overseas, turmoil in his wake
2. We are just five days from the special session at the state capitol. Friday Gov. Martinez is scheduled to meet with top Democrat leaders from the House and Senate to discuss proposals for the state budget crisis, according to the Santa Fe New Mexican. The governor vetoed portions of the $6.1 billion budget that lawmakers approved earlier this year because it called for tax hikes. Lawmakers are considering competing for proposals to clear tax breaks and possibly bring back a grocery tax.
3. Scattered rain and snow showers will continue to favor areas north of I-40 this morning.
Full Story: Kristen’s Friday Morning Forecast
4. It’s national bike to work day and starting at 6:30 a.m., there will be 16 stations set up across the metro to welcome cyclists for pedaling to the office. One of the stations is at Tingley Beach. BioPark officials will be on hand to talk about the plants, birds, and insects that inhabit the Bosque ecosystem.
5. The list of the top baby names in New Mexico for 2016 is out. The top name for boys according to the Social Security Administration are Elijah, Noah, Liam, Josiah and Michael. For girls, it’s Mia, Sophia, Emma, Olivia and Isabella.
Full Story: Top baby names revealed for New Mexico in 2016
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Defendants wife expected to take stand in murder retrial
- Police arrest 12-year-old boy caught by drivers throwing rocks at traffic
- Victims Services Alliance program seeks more volunteers
- Funding for lottery scholarships lags by nearly $8M
- New Mexico Bowl to help kick off college postseason Dec.16
- Suspect in deadly Times Square mayhem charged with murder
- Man who caused UNM gun scare ruled competent to stand trial
- Police arrest Silver City High teacher accused of having sex with student
- Students petition to save popular university’s Albuquerque campus
- Jail ID bracelet found in stolen truck, but inmate was in jail when truck was stolen