The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. President Trump is set to address House Republicans on Capitol Hill in preparation for their vote come Thursday to overhaul Obamacare. This comes a day after FBI Director James Comey told Congress his agency is investigating whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia during the election. The president is standing his ground, tweeting that there was no evidence of collusion. The FBI director also said the agency has no evidence to back up President Trump’s claims that Obama wiretapped or called for surveillance of Trump Tower before the election. The NSA director agreed with that statement. A Senate intelligence committee is scheduled to hold a similar hearing later this month.
2. There are no longer charges in a high-profile extreme animal cruelty case, this time on the grounds of double jeopardy. In Las Vegas, Hubble and several other dogs were found chained outside a home in 2015 without food or water. Hubble eventually died. Attorneys for the owner claim double jeopardy saying he’s already faced consequences for the case when he was forced to give up his animals for a civil court order.
3. A cool start to the day with morning temperatures in the 30s, 40s and 50s under a mostly clear sky. It’ll be another warm day across the state as afternoon highs climb well above average – expect widespread 60s, 70s and 80s (even a handful of low 90s across the far Southeast!).
Full story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. As we await for the governor to call a special session, the budget passed by lawmakers has yet to reach the governor’s desk. Due to clerical requirements, it can take a week or longer. Lawmakers sent a budget that includes tax increases but Governor Martinez has promised to veto any tax increases.
5. Next time you visit the BioPark, you’ll see a new friend. It’s a new Malayan tiger. The 6-year-old tiger arrived at the BioPark from the Jacksonville Zoo in February. He’s been in quarantine since then to get used to his new surroundings. The Rio Grande Zoo was without a tiger exhibit since Scout the Bengal tiger died last year.
Full story: Albuquerque BioPark introduces new Malayan tiger
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Kremlin says US intelligence committee is “confused”
- Lawsuit: Family claims school used ‘physical force’ to restrain daughter
- Judge Gorsuch’s rulings involving New Mexico cases
- Man accused in Navajo officer’s death to appear in court
- US bars electronic carry-ons from Mideast, N. Africa flights
- Albuquerque police searching for possible shooting witnesses
- Teen connected to Albuquerque man’s murder appears in court
- NMSU professor develops maple tree designed to survive in New Mexico’s climate
- Elijah Brown to transfer from New Mexico
- Researchers at Sandia Labs develop device to detect Zika