The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. President Trump is expected to meet with Republicans, who have criticized the GOP’s plan to replace Obamacare. This comes after the Congressional Budget Office, a non-partisan group, estimates 14 million Americans will lose health insurance next year under the new proposed bill. It could grow to 24 million in 2026. The White House says it will lead to more competition and less regulation and that will finally bring down the cost of care.
2. The state’s motor vehicle department is changing how it notifies drivers of expiring emissions tests again. This comes after a KRQE News 13 Special Assignment uncovered major problems. The MVD had been sending separate emissions alert letters but drivers didn’t get those letters and some were fined. Starting Wednesday, they will go back to the old method notifying Bernalillo County drivers on their car registration postcards.
3. A cool start to the day with morning temperatures in the 30s, 40s and 50s under a mostly clear sky. Afternoon temperatures will skyrocket above seasonal averages with widespread 60s, 70s and 80s expected.
Full story: Kristen’s Tuesday Morning Forecast
4. A major winter storm is moving through the northeast part of the country is expected to bring blizzard conditions affecting 50 million people. The worst of the storm will stretch from DC to Boston and could bring two feet of snow or more. Schools are closed, airlines are halting flights, subway service is also suspended in New York and some governors are already declaring state of emergencies. Crews are also preparing to handle power outages as well. The snow is already falling in the in some places. The same storm swept through the Midwest causing a huge pile-up in Chicago.
5. Bernalillo County sheriff’s deputies need your help finding stolen artwork. The pieces of art were taken from a home in the North Valley sometime between February 12, and February 15. Deputies say the art is worth more than $8,000.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Four suspected car thieves arrested in Albuquerque
- Santa Fe cafe takes stand on immigration debate with note on receipts
- Spaceport America helps NASA test new spacecraft
- Tribal officer killed after encountering pair on rural road
- Innovative coffee machine built in New Mexico bringing Third Wave coffee to homes
- Construction to close intersection at San Mateo, Central on Friday
- City to present more possible changes for Central Avenue corridor