The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Lawmakers will convene at the Roundhouse for the start of this year’s legislative session. There are a slate of issues expected to be discussed over the next two months. One of the biggest is the state’s $69 million budget shortfall. Among the proposals from lawmakers to deal with it is a tax on online sales and a food tax. The governor says she doesn’t want to raise taxes instead calling for sweeping funds from idle public accounts and shrinking overall pay to state employees and teachers.
2. Patchy fog is reducing visibility across central and eastern New Mexico this morning be sure to reduce your speed and use your low beams if you encounter an area of lower visibility. Spot showers will linger over northern New Mexico through most of the day.
Full Story: Kristen’s Monday Morning Forecast
3. Parts of the state are waking up to fresh snow Monday morning after a weekend storm passed through. Some areas even saw quarter-sized hail. The metro picked up more than a half-inch of rain Sunday breaking a 122-year-old record.
4. People living in northwest Albuquerque will likely have to pick up their mail directly from the post office again this week after the second mailbox break-in in their neighborhood in a year. Cluster mail boxes were broken into on two streets Bray and Alamogordo and Western Breeze and Alamogordo. One neighbor wrote a message to the crook saying, “Please stop breaking into our mailbox”.
5. Celebrations take place Monday in New Mexico to honor the legacy of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. In Albuquerque, Grant Chapel AME Church will celebrate the 21st Commemorative Breakfast for Doctor King and New Mexico’s Southern Christian Leadership Conference holds its seventh luncheon in Rio Rancho.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Cell phone video shows chaotic scene inside Cottonwood Mall
- Budget crisis steers legislative agenda in New Mexico
- Investigation underway after body found at northeast Albuquerque motel
- Nowhere left to run away to: The final days of the circus
- Obama speaks on Israel, Trump in last White House interview
- Central US Ice storm falls short of dire forecasts
- Kyrgyzstan ministry says cargo plane crash kills 37
- Group gathers to speak out against plans to repeal Affordable Care Act