The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Members of the electoral college are meeting to formally cast their ballots, officially electing Donald Trump as president. Demonstrators took to the National Mall Sunday trying to persuade members not to vote for Trump. One Republican elector in Texas plans to break from his state’s vote and wants 37 other electors to join him. Meanwhile, Trump’s team continues to cast doubt that Russia interfered in the election to help him win.
2. City council could sign off on bringing a key resource to the fire station near 4th Street and I-40. Councilor Isaac Benton wants to place an emergency rescue unit there with special equipment and staff to help save lives. The fire department says the move should help public safety especially on the freeways since the new unit would respond to emergencies around the Big-I.
3. Monday, mostly sunny. Highs in the 40’s. Monday night, clear. Lows 10 to 20° F.
4. The radio partner of a well-known New Mexico broadcaster is expected to discuss the crash that killed 45-year-old Stephen Rooney. There are hundreds of comments on Facebook paying tribute to Rooney who investigators say hit ice on the road while driving south of Portales on Sunday. They say he lost control and ran into a tree. Rooney’s voice was familiar to radio listeners in eastern New Mexico. He was the co-owner of a number of stations in that area.
5. It’s the busiest mailing day of the year in the U.S. Time is running out to get gifts and cards delivered in time for Christmas — now just six days away. Overall, the U.S. Postal Service estimates about $750 million packages will be delivered throughout this holiday season.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- New Mexico firmly backs Hillary Clinton as electors vote
- Police investigate vehicle explosion at Artesia gas station
- K9 ends standoff with burglary suspect in Albuquerque
- Body found behind Albuquerque Walmart sparks investigation
- Police: 1 fatal crash among 36 others on westbound I-40
- Winter storm slams part of US causing accidents, deaths
- Good samaritan pays huge vet bill for a retired vet’s dog
- New expanded airline services offered to Four Corners area
- The famously famous Hungarian actress Zsa Zsa Gabor dies
- ABQ BioPark offers unusual discount to celebrate 20th anniversary
- City offers easy way to get loved ones a holiday pet
- Kettle call: Cowboys ride Elliott’s stunt to bounce-back win