The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. There’s renewed national attention on the West Mesa murders as new theories emerge about a possible second burial site for eight women that are still missing. Almost eight years ago, 11 victims were discovered in a mass burial site. A field geologist and non-profit group say they’ve analyzed aerial images near the makeshift grave and think they’ve spotted manmade digging a half mile away. No arrests have been made in the case. The Albuquerque Police Department says the department follows any new leads that come in.
2. The mother of an accused teen killer is now awaiting sentencing. Loretta Villalobos was found guilty on two counts including child abuse resulting in death for not keeping a closer eye on her son Brandon. The then 15-year-old was charged for the beating death of 12-year-old Alex Madrid in 2014. Court documents show Loretta knew her son was violent and didn’t do anything about it. The mom now faces up to 20 years in prison.
3. A chilly but mostly clear start to the day with morning temperatures in the 20s, 30s and 40s across the state. We have one more day of pleasant weather before big changes move in with our next big weather-maker
Full Story: Kristen’s Thursday Morning Forecast »
4. Members of a local group are on a supply run this morning in North Dakota dropping off supplies to protestors, standing their ground over the Dakota access pipeline. They’re also spreading their message about the fight in Standing Rock by selling t-shirts, tanks, and hoodies. The money raised will buy materials to go inside of a yurt, donated to them, to help keep things warm for those sticking it out this winter.
5. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad is giving free holiday rides to collect food and toys for people in northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. The next train will depart from Chama. All you need to bring is a new unwrapped toy or a non-perishable food item.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Police issue arrest warrant for anti-police graffiti suspect
- Bernalillo County board OKs 2 behavioral health initiatives
- Yahoo says hackers stole information from over 1 billion accounts
- Dangerous wind chills, snow in Midwest; cold grips Northeast
- County proposal would give leg up to military spouses looking for work
- Local group selling shirts in support of Standing Rock
- Amusement park cancels Cliff’s Magical Christmas this year
- New Mexico railroad giving free rides in exchange for holiday donations