The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The Department of Justice is now investigating allegations that the Albuquerque Police Department altered and deleted body camera video. Former police records custodian Reynaldo Chavez claims the department trained certain staff to edit videos of interactions with civilians. Chavez’s allegations included claims that video showing the events surrounding the 2014 fatal shootings of 19-year-old Mary Hawkes and law enforcement informant Jeremy Robertson had been tampered with.
2. A chilly start to the day with morning temperatures in the teens, 20s and 30s across the state. Sunshine will help warm temperatures into the 30s, 40s and 50s by late day – much warmer than where we topped out on Thursday.
3. In just hours, Maggie Toulouse Oliver will take the oath of office as New Mexico’s new Secretary of State. She’s preparing to fill the remaining two years of former secretary Dianna Duran’s term. Just after the November election, Toulouse Oliver told KRQE News 13 her priority will be “bringing faith and trust back into our election system here in New Mexico.” She also says she’ll work on legislation to create an independent ethics commission to help keep politics out of decision-making. The swearing-in ceremony is scheduled for 4 p.m. Friday.
4. Getting your tax return, may take a little longer next year. The IRS says many refunds will be delayed due to new laws and identity theft safeguards. If you file your taxes in January, those who claim the earned income tax credit or the additional child tax credit, might not see their tax refunds until mid-February at the earliest.
5. An Albuquerque man is raising donations aiming to help homeless kids. Van Overton says he was inspired to advocate for kids after the death of Victoria Martens. Overton’s group is holding its first benefit this Sunday. All of the money raised is going to the Albuquerque Public Schools’ title one homeless project.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Albuquerque police ID victims in Four Hills shooting
- Man who pleaded guilty to drunk driving killing to be sentenced
- MDC officer arrested for aggravated battery, kidnapping
- Trump praises Michigan GOP while weighing RNC chairman call
- South Korean president is impeached in stunning fall
- Toulouse Oliver to be sworn in as Secretary of State
- Giraffes, rarer than elephants, put on extinction watch list
- Gov’t proposal envisions phone calls on airline flights