The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The man who pled guilty to killing 4-year-old Lilly Garcia is beginning a 16-year sentence behind bars Friday. Tony Torrez accepted a plea deal to second-degree murder for the road-rage shooting last year. Lilly’s father also acknowledged his involvement for the first time saying if he knew then what he knows now, he wouldn’t have swerved. Torrez apologized to the family in court and went on to say the shooting was in self-defense because Lilly’s father was the aggressor.
2. A cold wind and snow chances are ahead for New Mexico as we head into the weekend. A cold morning will give way to a very chilly afternoon with canyon winds cranking up out of the east in Albuquerque today. The metro will feel wind gusts from 40-45 mph this afternoon and evening. The wind today is thanks to a cold front that will move into eastern New Mexico throughout the day today.
Chris’ Friday Forecast: Chris’ Friday Morning Forecast
3. President-elect Donald Trump holds more meetings at Trump Tower in New York Friday as he continues to make picks for his administration. At a rally in Ohio Thursday night Trump announced plans to nominate retired marine General James Mattis for Defense Secretary. Trump also says he will announce his pick for a Supreme Court nominee “pretty soon”. He says he’s narrowed his choice down to three or four candidates.
4. A major Albuquerque interchange could soon get a makeover. Thursday night, the Department of Transportation held a public meeting to get input on their plan for I-25 and Rio Bravo. The design calls for separate on-ramps for people driving on Rio Bravo and those on University. Drivers would also be able to merge right from I-25 southbound to Rio Bravo westbound without stopping.
Full Story: New plans for Rio Bravo interchange released
5. If you’re decorating for Christmas this weekend, you can now pick up a New Mexico-themed ornament to add to your tree. The New Mexico Governor’s Mansion Foundation unveiled its sixth ornament in a series with a real piece of turquoise on it. Stores around Santa Fe are selling it for $30.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Torrez addresses family after pleading guilty to murder in Lilly Garcia’s shooting
- Critical reports look at UNM President’s expenses, treatment of staff
- Remembering San Bernardino’s victims 1 year later
- Ex-NFL player Joe McKnight fatally shot, suspect in custody
- Albuquerque Public Schools looking to hire hundreds of substitute teachers