The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The man accused of killing 4-year-old Lilly Garcia during a fit of road rage is expected to take a plea deal in court as early as Thursday morning. Torrez’s public defender says it was a better option than risking a jury finding his Torrez guilty of first-degree murder which carries a life sentence. If a judge agrees to the plea deal, Torrez will serve 16 years in prison for second-degree murder.
2. A former Albuquerque Police Department cop accused in a deadly hit-and-run could soon have his charges enhanced. KRQE News 13 has learned his blood test shows Rodney Locke had a BAC of 0.18. However, some are questioning why he was only charged with leaving the scene of an accident, citing other suspects who refused a breath test like Locke and were charged with vehicular homicide immediately.
3. Thursday, partly cloudy. Highs in the lower to mid 40’s. Thursday night, partly cloudy. Lows in the 20’s.
4. Two schools are rallying around an Albuquerque High School cheerleader who’s fighting for her life. Vanessa Mendoza, 17, was critically injured in a drunk driving crash Thanksgiving Day. At Wednesday night’s rival basketball game, students from both Albuquerque High and Saint Pius wore bulldog colors to support Mendoza. Saint Pius will also donate ticket sales money to her family.
5. Shoppers are expected to hit the streets for the Nob Hill Shop and Stroll. Thursday night from 5:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m, there will be shopping, food specials, entertainment and even photos with Santa. Admission is free. Because of the event, Central will be closed from San Mateo to Girard from 3:30 p.m until midnight.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Old Navy arson suspect believed to be responsible for recent crime spree
- 2nd California fugitive inmate arrested after standoff
- Jurors in Slager trial deliberate after monthlong trial
- Police: Suspect in Tacoma officer’s death shot and killed
- Retrial in El Rancho killings case underway
- Vandals steal van from Albuquerque business, use it to smash door at another
- Former US Senator to serve as adviser for Land Office
- Businesses: Lights out on bridges in downtown have been out for months
- Creator of McDonald’s flagship sandwich, the Big Mac, dies
- Movie star spotted at Route 66 Pit Stop