The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The massive wildfire that forced people in Tennessee to run for their lives, fleeing from their homes in the middle of the night, continues to grow and wreak havoc. At last check, it’s destroyed more than 250 buildings, including entire apartment complexes and many homes. Three people have died. Crews in Tennessee continue to battle the largest fire in the state in a hundred years.
2. Albuquerque police warn that thieves are now scoping out obituaries looking for possible homes to rob. Holly Spellman says it happened to her after her mother died. Two weeks ago, thieves ransacked her mom’s home taking 14 of her mother’s paintings. Police say be on alert and if you know anything about Spellman’s case, call police.
3. Wednesday, mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 30’s to lower 40’s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Below canyons, northwest winds 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Wednesday night, mostly clear. Lows 15° to 25°. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening.
4. As kids head to the classroom, Albuquerque Public Schools is dealing with a tough grade from the State Public Education Department. The state released its district grades Tuesday, showing that while more districts around New Mexico are improving, only six out of 89 earned an “A.”
5. The University of New Mexico will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of “The Pit” during Wednesday night’s game versus Abilene Christian. Here are some fun facts: one of the most recognizable college basketball arenas, then-UNM President Thomas Popejoy wanted to build underground to save money. The total project only cost $1.7 million and at the time was the cheapest arena per seat being built. It opened December 1966 with a seating capacity of just under 15,000.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- New Mexico to begin recounting votes in 3 county races
- Police: Teen attempting to carjack couple shot in head by victim
- Trump says he’s stepping out of his business empire
- Closing arguments set in trial in black motorist’s death
- Officials: Ohio attacker was angry about treatment of Muslims
- Santa Fe firefighter stops thief from taking fire gear
- Albuquerque police search for neck-brace-wearing robbery suspect
- Possible tornado kills 3 in northern Alabama
- Ski Santa Fe to open this weekend
- Car registration postcard confuses Bernalillo County drivers
- River of Lights sees increase of visitors from 2015
- Twinkle Light Parade up for best US holiday parade