The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. No word yet if the man arrested shortly after a fire at Old Navy is connected to a string of fires, break-ins and one explosion in Albuquerque recently. According to a criminal complaint, police found David Hickman with a loaded gun, an AR-15 style rifle in the back seat of his car, an emergency flare and several mason jars that had explosive material inside. Police also said Hickman had a list with that Old Navy store on it. Recently, there were suspicious devices left at three local Starbucks, and there was a fire at an anti-abortion ministry where a hybrid was spotted leaving the scene, similar to Hickman’s. He has yet to be named a suspect in these other incidents.
2. Partly cloudy with isolated snow showers. Highs in the upper 30’s to mid 40’s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Tuesday night, mostly clear. Lows 15° F to 25°F. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph in the evening.
3. For the second day in a row, winter weather is forcing schools and government offices to open late Tuesday morning. More than 30 delays and closures have been reported so far. Mostly in the western part of the state, like around Gallup.
4. One of two former officers charged with murder is off the hook, and his attorney says his next move is getting his job back. Monday, Special Prosecutor Randi McGinn dropped the charge against Dominique Perez. However, Keith Sandy is still charged with second degree murder. Both were facing the same charge during their first meal, which ended up in a hung jury. McGinn says dropping the charge was “the right thing to do.”
5. A former auto burglar is now giving a detailed explanation on how thieves steal from unsuspecting car owners. He recently told Santa Fe police, auto-burglars start with a door check, going from car to car. When an alarm goes off, they run to the next neighborhood and keep doing the same thing. But he says, criminals aren’t just interested in what’s inside your car — they also want what’s under your hood.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Raging wildfires in South force evacuations in Tennessee
- Brazilian soccer team’s plane crashes in Colombia; 75 dead
- Terrorism suspected in car-and-knife attack at Ohio State
- Jury selection underway for trial of man accused of shooting Lilly Garcia
- Police search for stolen musical instruments
- PNM to seek another rate increase
- Albuquerque animal shelters seek donations this holiday season