The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Monday, windy and partly cloudy with isolated snow showers in the morning. Mostly cloudy with isolated rain and snow showers in the afternoon. Highs in the 40’s. West winds 15 to 25 mph increasing to 20 to 30 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 40 mph. Monday night, windy with numerous snow showers. Snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Total snow accumulation 1 to 3 inches. Lows in the 20’s. West winds 20 to 30 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 40 mph.
2. Jury selection is expected to begin for the trial of the man accused of killing a 4-year-old girl during a road rage incident. Tony Torrez is accused of firing a gun at the truck Lilly Garcia was riding in, hitting the girl and killing her. Police say it started when Torrez cut off Lilly’s dad and the two exchanged curse words, but Lilly’s dad says he tried to get away. The defense has argued that Lilly’s dad provoked Torrez to shoot his gun that day — something that outgoing lawmaker Michael Sanchez alluded to recently on social media. Prosecutors are arguing back against that claim, saying there’s no proof.
3. A team of top federal investigators will continue combing through the destruction of The Carlisle condos in Nob Hill. It went up in flames this past week, and was completely destroyed. Now a team from the ATF typically deployed to major fires is in Albuquerque investigating that blaze alongside the Albuquerque Fire Department. They’ll be looking at multiple ignition points. The estimated cost of damage is more than $9 million.
4. Police are asking for help in finding the vandals who left their mark in the Ventana Ranch area. It happened sometime overnight Saturday. Several homes and cars had their windows busted out.
5. The River of Lights is in full swing after opening for the season Saturday night. It’s one of the most popular sights of the season at the Botanic Garden. This year, there are some new attractions in the dazzling walk-through exhibit, including a dinosaur exhibit. It runs nightly through December 30th but is closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Full Story: River of Lights opens at Albuquerque BioPark
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Wind, snow around New Mexico
- Plane headed to Las Vegas makes emergency landing in Albuquerque
- Family heartbroken after Albuquerque mother dies in drunk driving wreck
- New Orleans French Quarter shooting kills 1 and wounds 9
- Trump to fill more vacancies; recount distraction looms
- Cuba bids farewell to Fidel Castro, ruler for half-century
- Jury selection to resume in Charleston church shooting trial
- With deals offered early, will shoppers buy on Cyber Monday?
The Morning’s Links