The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Tuesday, partly cloudy. Highs in the 50’s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Tuesday night, clear and colder. Lows in the mid 20’s to lower 30’s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening.
2. The police chief and the city are now conducting their own investigation into allegations that the Albuquerque Police Department deleted or altered police videos in high profile cases. The chief spoke at Monday night’s city council meeting. According to an affidavit filed Friday in the Mary Hawkes officer-involved shooting case, the former custodian of records says APD made police or surveillance videos disappear or altered them. Councilor Pat Davis asked if there should be an outside investigation, but city attorney Jessica Hernandez said it wasn’t necessary.
3. It’s now against the law to make threats against a school and other public places online. Mayor Richard J. Berry signed it into law Monday. Previously, there was no statute on posting a threat, like a plan to shoot up a school, on social media. Since it’s now a crime, police officers can get search warrants to see who’s behind the online threats.
4. Drivers beware: there’s a new parking system in place in Nob Hill. It’s caught drivers off guard and left many with parking tickets. City signs say you have to back into the new angled spots on Silver between Tulane and Carlisle. Drivers who don’t are getting $30 tickets. The city says backing in is safer because it allows cyclists and drivers to see each other.
5. With many people are already writing out their holiday shopping lists, the State Tourism Department is making it easy for you to give local by unveiling the “New Mexico True” Certified Holiday Gift Guide. The digital catalog highlighting products that are 100 percent made in or grown in New Mexico.
Full Story: New Mexico True releases holiday gift guide
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Convicted cop killer Andrew Romero to appear in court again
- School bus driver charged in deadly Chattanooga crash
- Suspect in fatal police shooting upset over custody battle
- A scare, then relief after powerful Japan quake and tsunami
- State Police investigating crash that killed 1-year-old
- Repaired playground reopens in Carlsbad
- Experts reveal 2016’s best stores for Black Friday
- Eldorado boys basketball game a rain out
The Morning’s Links