The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Friday, sunny with highs in the upper 40’s to lower 50’s. North winds 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Friday night, clear. Lows in the lower to mid 20’s. East winds 10 to 15 mph below canyons.
2. Clean-up and repairs will likely begin Friday after strong winds ripped through New Mexico, knocking down a traffic light in Santa Fe and even causing some trees to fall in the metro. Winds reached up to 94 miles per hour at the Sandia Peak. A local plumbing company says they’ve been running around non-stop for the past 24 hours trying to get people ready for the freezing temps overnight.
3. Española School District’s finances are now in the hands of the Public Education Department. The PED claims the school overspends, doesn’t follow state law when awarding contracts and gave the state several false financial reports. The state also says the district has hired people without background checks or licenses.
4. A petition has been started to get the murder charges against two former Albuquerque police officers dropped. Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez are facing second degree murder charges for the shooting death of James Boyd. Their first trial ended in a hung jury. Now, a Change.org petition is trying to convince a new DA, Raul Torrez, to dismiss the charges. Torrez says a group of independent prosecutors will review the case.
5. Two once-stolen dogs are back with their owners. The Hendricks had their truck stolen from a neighborhood near the Petroglyphs with their two dogs, Mocha and Peña Blanca still inside. A good samaritan found the dogs wandering the Winrock parking lot and took them to an animal hospital. The dogs were micro-chipped and so they were returned to their owners. The Hendricks’ truck is still missing.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Records contradict APD chief’s claim in excessive force case
- Sen. Sessions, Rep. Pompeo picked by Trump for top jobs
- Police find dead body in house after reports of gunshots
- Remaining charges against Albuquerque jail guard dropped
- Teen accused in Albuquerque man’s murder takes plea deal
- 1 killed in shooting at child’s birthday party in Tennessee
- Albuquerque man fasts to protest Dakota Access pipeline
- China astronauts return from monthlong space station stay
- Albuquerque’s first freeze comes late in the season
- UNM’s new app to help doctors screen patients alcohol use
- Lobo men’s soccer advance on penalty kicks against Portland