The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Thursday, mostly sunny and windy. Highs in the mid 50’s to lower 60’s. South winds 20 to 30 mph increasing to west 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 50 mph. Thursday night, mostly clear and windy. Lows in the 20’s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph, decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 45 mph.
2. By the end of the week, President Bob Frank could have a list of demands from a group of University of New Mexico students who walked out of class Wednesday in a peaceful protest. Nearly 100 students gathered on campus, spread fliers, then marched down Central demanding UNM protect its students from what they call “recent hate crimes on campus,” following President-elect Donald Trump’s win last week. UNM says it has sent out emails saying it doesn’t condone this type of violence. No word if President Frank will meet with the students.
3. An Albuquerque man is preparing to take on the city, and police, in federal court. Kyle Dibble claims an officer used excessive force, throwing him onto the concrete and breaking his back during a DWI arrest two years ago. He says he crashed his motorcycle into a fence, and walked to a family friend’s home to get help. But police say he was running from them, even scaling a wall to go through a neighbor’s yard. The city filed a response in court this week, saying the officer’s actions were reasonable.
Full Story: Suit filed over excessive force in DWI arrest
4. As the holiday shopping season begins, a reminder about thieves, swiping packages from local porches. It already happened to one homeowner in the Estates at Tanoan last week. You can see the woman take packages worth hundreds, and toss them into her car. One of the best tips to protect your packages is to require a signature, or have it delivered at work.
Full Story: ‘Porch Pirate’ nabs $400 in packages from home
5. A sweet way to give back, from a group of local second graders. Students at Rio Rancho Elementary made a gingerbread house to benefit meals on wheels for low-income seniors. The gingerbread house is one of many being auctioned off, with some being donated by master bakers.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Santa Fe police release lapel video from arrests made during anti-Trump protest
- Students at Albuquerque school protest Trump election
- President-elect Trump continues meetings to fill key cabinet positions
- Clinton reflects on loss, urges backers to ‘stay engaged’
- Prince William: We’re still step behind wildlife traffickers
- New Mexico installing new welcome signs around the state
- City to host public meeting on Albuquerque BioPark ‘Penguin Chill’ exhibit
- Car booster seats for kids are getting better, study says
- ‘Wise Pies’ to bring pizza to The Pit
- Scenic railroad to give free rides in exchange for holiday donations
- VIRAL VIDEO: Mountain lions swim in Shasta Lake