The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The special prosecutor handling the murder case against former Albuquerque officers Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez says there’s new evidence involving Sandy’s police body camera. Both Sandy and Perez are still facing second degree murder charges in the death of James Boyd. This comes after Sandy’s attorney says Special Prosecutor Randi McGinn offered Sandy a plea deal which he rejected. A judge has set a potential new trial date of next July in case incoming DA Raul Torrez decides to re-try the officers.
2. A New Mexico lawmaker is preparing to introduce a bill that gives reckless drivers who kill people harsher punishments. The driver accused in a drag-racing crash in Albuquerque that killed a 10-year-old girl over the weekend only faces six years behind bars if convicted. State Representative Sarah Maestas Barnes says she wanted a law that ups the sentence for drunk drivers to also cover reckless driving, but the Senate decided to only focus on DWI.
3. Tuesday, sunny. Highs in the upper 60’s to mid 70’s. Tuesday night, clear. Lows in the upper 30’s to lower 40’s.
4. A New Mexico senator is hoping to gain support for a push to get rid of the Electoral College. Senator Mimi Stewart says it’s time for change after Hillary Clinton won the popular vote but President-elect Donald Trump won the electoral vote. Stewart is backing an interstate deal to switch to the popular vote, but some lawmakers say candidates would just stick to the nation’s largest states if the popular vote decided the presidency.
5. An Albuquerque woman is celebrating a big win on the game show “Wheel of Fortune.” Michelle Marquez appeared on Monday night’s episode. She watched with family and friends who didn’t know the outcome yet. Marquez walked away with $11,000 and a trip to Florida.
Full Story: Albuquerque woman appears on ‘Wheel of Fortune’
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Interview with accused cop killer released by feds
- Obama arrives in Greece at start of his final foreign tour
- ‘Making a Murderer’ nephew must say Tuesday where he’ll live
- Retrial for former deputy accused of killing fellow deputy delayed
- Media giants, politicians mourn passing of Gwen Ifill
- State Senator Michael Sanchez considers suing over attack ads
- Abandoned UNM fraternity house to be torn down
- Wildfires putting future of North Carolina Christmas trees at risk
- PNM teaches New Mexico kids about saving energy
- Councilor wants to give more teens access to city gyms