The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Family and friends are mourning the death of 10-year-old Carmen Esmerelda Rivera who was killed during a crash over the weekend. Authorities believe two street racers are to blame. A 22-year-old man is facing a vehicular homicide charge after police say he was driving more than 100 mph on I-25, racing another car just before he slammed into the van the girl was riding in. Both cars rolled, the girl was ejected and died on scene. The girl’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for funeral expenses.
2. New Mexico State Police is the lead agency in an officer-involved shooting where police and deputies fired shots at suspects after a wild police chase. Authorities say Espanola Police were in pursuit of a reported stolen car, and after laying down spike strips, police say the suspect started ramming patrol cars. That’s when Espanola Police and Rio Arriba Sheriff’s deputies started shooting.
3. Monday, sunny. Highs int eh 60’s. Monday night, clear. Lows in the 30’s.
4. A new startup is helping Albuquerque seniors become entrepreneurs. FatPipe ABQ is telling seniors it’s never too late to innovate, the program is targeted towards seniors looking to get back into the work field and succeed in a typically millenial dominated startup environment.
5. Get your roller skates ready. A popular northeast Albuquerque roller skating rink is preparing for its grand reopening in just weeks. The rink underwent a major renovation after a June storm ripped off part of the roof of Roller Skate City near I-40 and Juan Tabo, forcing the closure. “Roller King” opened last Friday, but its grand reopening is still coming up.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Judge to decide if DA can retry murder case against Sandy, Perez
- New Zealand plans rescue of tourists stranded by earthquake
- Priebus says he and Bannon make effective Trump team
- Lawyers file motion to delay Trump University trial
- Ex-New Mexico governor’s next challenge is a bicycle trip
- $17k worth of jewelry stolen from 2 Albuquerque JCPenney stores
- Feds announce deployment of extra Border Patrol agents to Texas-Mexico border
- Rocker Leon Russell dies in Nashville
- Monday’s supermoon extra super; closest in nearly 69 years
- America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race winners share their experience
- New app teaches about Albuquerque recycling, trash program