The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Things are much calmer in Portland, Oregon hours after police used tear gas and rubber bullets to try to break up about 4,000 anti-trump protestors overnight. They took to the streets for a second night chanting “we reject the president-elect”. Some of the crowd smashed windows and started dumpster fires. Twenty-six arrests were reported. Trump took to twitter, claiming the protests are “incited by the media” and saying they are “very unfair”.
2. Albuquerque Public Schools is encouraging parents to talk with their kids about newly-elected president Donald Trump. The district sent home a letter after the administration says many students expressed fear that their parents may get deported. The letter also reassures families APS can’t report students who are illegally here. About 80-percent of APS students are minorities.
3. A cold start to our morning with temperatures in the 20s, 30s and 40s under a mostly to partly clear sky. Afternoon temperatures will climb back into the 40s, 50s and 60s statewide – near to just below average for this time of year.
Kristen’s Forecast: Kristen’s Veteran’s Day Forecast
4. As you wake up, there’s an active “endangered child alert” in New Mexico. State Police are searching for 3-year-old Mayson Taylor. Mayson was last seen Thursday in Silver City with his mom Tiffany Taylor. They say she does not have custody of Mayson and he hasn’t been returned to his father. If you see them you’re asked to call police.
5. Celebrations are planned across the state to honor New Mexico’s veterans. A parade begins a 9:00 a.m. at USS Bullhead Memorial Park and ends with a ceremony at the New Mexico Veteran’s Memorial. Staff Sergeant Matthew McClintock’s name will also be added to the memorial wall at the University of New Mexico. McClintock was posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions in Afghanistan.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Oregon is epicenter as Trump protests surge across nation
- ‘Excellent’ first meeting for Obama, Trump
- New video after ex-Albuquerque policeman is accused in deadly hit-and-run
- Surveillance cameras supposed to keep thieves away, might be attracting them
- Local brewery to attend national conference
- Sipapu Ski Resort delays opening for the season
- Santa Fe mayor to introduce soda tax
- Student senate pushes for parental leave at UNM