The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Streets in the metro are clear after protesters expressed their outrage over President-elect Donald Trump. It started as a peaceful protest but quickly grew to nearly 100 protesters blocking I-25 and Central. The protest also took over parts of downtown, many holding anti-Trump signs and chanting. Some demonstrators then decided to spray-paint the streets, walls and even some windows at a local restaurant. Albuquerque police and Bernalillo County deputies were forced to get involved to disperse the large crowd. So far, no word on if anyone was arrested.
2. The assistant Moriarty High School football coach accused of raping students is facing new charges. Damien Hyatt, 24, was arrested last month, accused of having a relationship with a high school student, as well as buying three female students alcohol and pressuring them for sex. Now police say there’s another victim he tried to solicit.
3. Thursday, partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 50’s to lower 60’s. Thursday night, partly cloudy. Lows in the 30’s.
4. The University of New Mexico football team is still trying to find an ultimate Lobo fan who stuck it out during the lengthy rain delay this weekend. During Saturday night’s game against Nevada, heavy rain and lightening stopped the game and led to the stadium being evacuated. The game resumed two hours later, around midnight. After UNM won, an Albuquerque Journal photographer captured just one loyal fan in the stands to witness it. UNM Safety Daniel Henry is now looking for the fan to give him free tickets.
Full Story: UNM looking for lone Lobo football fan
5. An annual holiday tradition in Albuquerque, the Twinkle Light Parade, has been nominated by a panel of travel experts as a contender for the best holiday parade by USA Today. The winner is based on online votes. To cast your vote, click here.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- ‘Not my president:’ Trump denounced in protests across US
- Leaders, people across the world react to Trump’s victory
- Cities pass taxes on sugary drinks, advocates predict more
- Facebook posts 4 job listings for Los Lunas data center
- GM laying off over 2,000 at 2 car plants as sales slow
- Sandoval County voters reject mill levy to support hospitals
- Special prosecutor appointed for suspicious Ruidoso death
- Police search for gunman after 5 injured in Seattle shooting
- UK police bail driver in tram derailment that killed 7
- Albuquerque breaks ground on pickleball courts
- Toys for Tots registration happening Thursday
- All-star baseball player works to help local vets