The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. When it comes to Albuquerque police fixing its use of force problems, the latest report from the court appointed monitor shows the Albuquerque Police Department has a long way to go. APD’s chief says the report shows continued progress by tactical units and a department that’s meeting it’s deadlines. However, in the report the monitor criticized APD several times, saying APD still doesn’t routinely hold officers accountable when they use force.
2. New Mexico’s grade for keeping teachers is not looking good. A new study says for the school years 2011-2012 and 2012-2013, 23 percent of teachers in the state left their schools, making New Mexico the second highest-rated state for teacher turnover. Arizona had the highest rate. A teacher’s union says the reasons include student testing and low salary.
3. Wednesday, partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 60’s to lower 70’s. Wednesday night, lows in the mid to upper 40’s. East winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts around 50 mph.
4. If you want to save money this holiday season, you may want to skip online shopping. A new survey says we spend more money from behind a screen than in person. The NPD Group finds online shoppers are expected to spend an average of $710 this holiday season. That’s compared to $440 for in-store shoppers.
5. Mystery solved! The so-called ghost at the University of New Mexico duck pond is nothing more than a publicity stunt. KRQE News 13 recently told you about thrill seekers who recorded themselves while walking across the bridge. Sometimes a “ghost girl” would appear. The ghost is Valerie Perea, a junior at UNM, and she’s very much alive. She was helping out Clay Space to raise awareness for his short horror film.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Police: 2 officers in Iowa killed in ambush style attacks
- Jail guard accused of rape costs taxpayers $2 million
- After explosion, company aims to restart gas pipeline
- Mom: Police ‘failed to protect and serve,’ could have prevented son’s death
- Suspect arrested in death of Carlsbad man
- Clinton presses into Arizona, Trump focuses on Florida
- FBI release of Bill Clinton archive raises timing questions
- Gary Johnson to hold rally in Albuquerque
- Time-of-day watering restrictions end Nov. 1
- Albuquerque aquarium to host November sleepover
- Los Lunas Police taking part in ‘No-Shave November’
- Cubs beat Indians 9-3 to force Game 7