ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – The horrific details of the death of 10-year-old Victoria Martens shocked the nation. At her memorial service Saturday, family, friends and the community tried to focus on who that little girl was and not how she was killed.
Songs of worship filled Copper Pointe Church — a fitting way to remember Victoria because those who knew her best said she loved to sing and she was always full of energy.
“She would often run around her grandparent’s lawn and do her gymnastics,” said Laura Bobbs, Victoria’s Godmother.
More than 600 people came to celebrate Victoria’s life at the public memorial service, those who knew her and those who wished they did.
“She was just such an amazing girl and I’m so blessed and happy that we got to meet her and got to know her,” said Veronica Brazas, mom of Victoria’s friend.
“All described her as having a special spark,” said Hector Balderas, Attorney General.
The horrific details of that little girl’s death shocked the nation. Police said Victoria was killed by her own mother and two others in August.
Governor Martinez, Attorney General Hector Balderas and APD Chief Gorden Eden all spoke at the service and said the state must learn from what happened to her.
“Let us strengthen our resolve to look out for each other, to take care of each other, watch out for those who cannot take care of themselves,” said Chief Gorden Eden, Albuqueruqe Police Dept.
Many people wore purple to the ceremony, which was Victoria’s favorite color. Purple teddy bears were also handed out to the children that came. Parents said remembering Victoria was a somber reminder.
“Hold our kids closer everyday,” said Brazas.
And as the doves released after the service flew high into the sky, her loved ones said they are sure — Victoria’s in a better place.
“She was one of God’s borrowed angels,” said Bobbs.
The three suspects accused of killing Victoria remain behind bars at MDC awaiting trial.
- Victoria Martens’ grandparents file lawsuit against Albuquerque Police
- Judge sets trial order for suspects in Victoria Martens’ murder case
- Suspect in Victoria Marten’s murder in court on separate charges
- Petroglyph Elementary dedicates yearbook page to Victoria Martens
- Prosecutors ask to search cellphones of suspects in Victoria Martens’ murder case
- Judge denies venue change but separates trials for suspects in Victoria Martens’ case
- State files motion to separate murder trials in Victoria Martens’ case
- CYFD looks into program to teach students about child abuse
- Community dedicates tree to 10-year-old Victoria Martens
- CYFD releases review of Victoria Martens’ case
- Investigators release autopsy results on 10-year-old Victoria Martens
- Prosecutors recover new evidence in Victoria Marten’s murder case
- Hundreds gather to remember Victoria Martens at public memorial service
- Judge: Fabian Gonzales to finish probation sentence in jail
- Police interviews released on suspects in Victoria Martens’ murder
- Trial date set for suspects in Victoria Martens’ murder
- Grandparents open up about Victoria Martens’ mom
- Grandparents of 10-year-old Victoria Martens speak out for first time
- Judge excused from hearing case against Michelle Martens
- Senator calls for independent investigation into Victoria Martens’ murder