The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The assistant Moriarty High School football coach arrested this week is set to appear in court Monday. Damien Hyatt, 24, faces 24 charges, 12 of them for rape. The case involves three female students who accuse Hyatt of buying them alcohol, pressuring them for sex and even trying to blackmail one of them. Hyatt is currently behind bars. The superintendent of Moriarty Schools says Hyatt has been fired.
2. One of two runways shut down at New York’s Laguardia Airport after an incident involving Vice Presidential nominee Mike Pence’s plane, is back open for morning flights. The FAA is set to resume its investigation Friday into what caused the plane to skid off the runway. The pilot slammed on the brakes and travelers say they could smell burning rubber. Pence was on board, but no injuries were reported.
3. Friday, mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70’s to lower 80’s. Friday night, partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. Albuquerque’s city tourism logo has a fresh new look. The new campaign is called, “Change your perspective.” Visit Albuquerque plans to use the more colorful design, which includes hot air balloons, in marketing efforts outside the city.
5. Videos of a spooky image at the University of New Mexico are getting a lot of attention online. Students taking a challenge to walk across the duck pond bridge blindfolded at night say video sometimes captures a ghost girl in the background. The eerie videos are being shared on the UNM Hauntings Facebook page.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Verdict expected in gun case against Officer Webster’s accused killer
- Clinton rallies with Mrs. Obama as Trump alleges corruption
- Santa Fe police clear scene after bomb scare
- Police evict oil pipeline protesters from private land
- Jury acquits leaders of Oregon standoff of federal charges
- US asks to store nuke waste aboveground after leak shut dump
- Española police officer sues apartment complex where he was shot
- New Mexico Tourism Department creates development division
- Police search for man who attacked Craigslist customer
- Sandia, Kirtland Federal credit unions plan to merge
- UNM study: It costs less to pay to house the homeless
- Victoria Martens memorial scheduled for this weekend
- Couple loses $14k wedding ring at ‘Dave and Busters’
- CNM students to participate in mock emergency situation
- Cubs back in World Series, goat curse back on forefront