The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. More issues are popping up along the Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction zone. The city says that using a number of street crossings they put in for pedestrians, is actually illegal. The city put seven median cut-outs in the Nob Hill area about a decade ago, and as recently as last year recommended that people use them. But now that ART construction is underway, the mayor says using them is jaywalking. Of the seven cutouts, only one of the crossings will remain because an ART station is going up there.
2. There are only nine days left to vote early. In Bernalillo County voter turnout is already up more than 40 percent from the last presidential election. More than 55,000 voters have cast their ballot at the 19 early voting centers. State-wide more than 140,000 people have voted early, including more than 77,000 Democrats and 45,000 Republicans.
Full story: Early voting brings lines and long wait times
3. Thursday, mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70’s to lower 80’s. Thursday night, mostly clear. Lows in the upper 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. The city of Santa Fe wants your input as it considers some proposed changes for pet owners. The Santa Fe New Mexican reports commissioners agreed Wednesday night to consider some changes to the animal code, including banning chains, tethers and trolley systems. This is only a proposal. No word on when a final vote could happen.
Full story: Santa Fe considering new rules for pet owners
5. The countdown to Halloween is on and the Albuquerque Police Department is breaking down some key tips to make sure your little monsters stay safe. APD says an adult should be with kids trick-or-treating. If they’re gone long, considering mapping out their route so you know where to find them. For costumes, stick to light, bright colors and nothing too big that they can trip on. Experts also say masks can be dangerous because they can block a child’s view.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- High school assistant coach accused of raping students
- Hobbs police investigating death of man found in home
- Victoria Martens memorial scheduled for this weekend
- NYC apartment building fire leaves 1 dead, 12 others hurt
- Officials in quake-ridden central Italy assess damage
- New Mexico National Guard launches probe into bonuses
- Albuquerque restaurant transforms into Halloween attraction
- Modest gains, but US students still lag in science learning
- Albuquerque restaurants collects Halloween candy for kids at CYFD
- Haunting presentation highlights New Mexico history
- Crews begin decorating Santa Fe Plaza for Christmas
- Taos Mountain Balloon Rally to kick off Friday