ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) – The New Mexico National Guard says it is investigating if its soldiers received improper enlistment bonuses like those reportedly paid to some soldiers in California.
New Mexico National Guard Joseph Vigil said late Tuesday officials are doing “due diligence” to determine if any of New Mexico members were affected.
Vigil did not say if the New Mexico National Guard so far has found any soldiers who received improper enlistment bonuses.
U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Wednesday ordered the Pentagon to suspend its effort to seek repayments of enlistment bonuses given to thousands of California National Guard members who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The announcement does not end the reimbursement process but postpones collection efforts while the Pentagon and Congress look for a long-term solution.