The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Some funding will continue to stay in education after Gov. Susana Martinez vetoed $22 million in proposed cuts to public school programs. The governor decided to strike cuts to performance based pay incentives for teachers and other hallmark initiatives in a package approved by the State Legislature, to address a nearly $600 million operating budget deficit.
Full Story: Governor signs bill to slash agency spending
2. New Mexico is one of only nine states that doesn’t allow voters to write-in presidential candidates. What makes our state especially unusual, is that write-in campaigns are allowed for other races, just not for president.
3. Tuesday, partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the morning. Then isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 60’s to mid 70’s. Tuesday night, mostly clear. Lows in the upper 30’s to mid 40’s.
4. Residents in charge of maintaining Tomé Hill say they are fed up. While it’s still about six months until the annual pilgrimage, residents say visitors are leaving it a mess the rest of the year, leaving behind trash, drawing signs and some are even building their own shrines. Three crosses mounted at the top of the privately owned Tome Hill are the only memorials allowed. They were created to pay homage to soldiers from World War II.
Full story: Residents fed up with vandalism at Tomé Hill
5. A popular New Mexico pumpkin patch has ranked as one of the best in the country. Map Quest, Trips to Discover and Wide Open Country have all given McCall’s Pumpkin Patch top honors. More than 90,000 people reportedly visited the family-owned farm last year. In the last three years, they’ve seen visitors from 48 states, five countries and four continents.
Full story: McCall’s Pumpkin Patch gets national recognition
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Accident closes I-40 westbound near Atrisco Vista
- Prosecutors show gun allegedly used to kill Officer Webster
- Former teacher accused of inappropriately touching student appears in court
- Convicted cop killer to face added time in prison
- Militants attack Pakistan police academy, killing 59
- 4 killed on river rapids ride at Australian theme park
- Obama health plan hit by double-digit premium hikes
- Ex-wife of former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle sues company
- New MVD mobile unit hits New Mexico streets
- Arian Foster decides to retire