The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The man accused of shooting and killing Albuquerque Police Officer Daniel Webster one year ago is expected to be on trial Monday morning. But for now, it’s the murder weapon taking center stage in court. Lymon was a felon at the time, prohibited from having a firearm. Monday’s trial in federal court is on charges for being in possession of the firearm that killed Officer Webster during a traffic stop at Eubank and Central.
2. A man accused of pointing a shotgun at an officer during a scary chase in Albuquerque is now in jail. Albuquerque police say suspect Michael David Pacheco fled from a domestic violence call Sunday afternoon near Unser and I-40. Police caught up to him at the Walgreens at the corner of Coors and Central. According to a criminal complaint, the officer says Pacheco pointed a shotgun through the sunroof. Police intentionally crashed into Pacheco’s vehicle at 64th and Churchill and arrested him.
3. Monday, mostly sunny in the morning, then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 70’s to lower 80’s. Monday night, mostly cloudy. Scattered showers after midnight. Lows in the lower to mid 50’s.
4. Should independent voters have more say in who’s on the ballot? That’s what the State Supreme Court is set to hear arguments on Monday. New Mexico is a closed primary state, meaning only registered Democrats and Republicans can vote in their respective party primaries. A lawsuit against the state claims that violates the constitutional rights of those not part of a major political party.
5. Owners of a local fishing attraction are starting their last full week of business Monday. The family-run Shady Lakes, just north of Balloon Fiesta Park, has been in the Phillips family since 1962. But now, they say it’s time to move on. The plan is to put the property on the market. The last day to visit is Sunday.
Full story: Shady Lakes to officially close on October 30
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Convicted cop killer to face added time in prison
- Suspected drunk driver crashes into fire truck, medical helicopter
- Officials: Dog kills 4-year-old southwestern Michigan girl
- NTSB to investigate bus crash that left 13 dead, 31 injured
- North Dakota pipeline protest prompts more than 80 arrests
- Belen facing crime uptick, residents to address city council
- Sandia Peak restaurant officially closes its doors
- Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction continues Monday