The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Crews are expected to start heavy construction on the Albuquerque Rapid Transit project Monday. The first areas to see construction include the University of New Mexico and Nob Hill areas, Downtown, Old Town, and west Central. During this time, there will be at least one lane of traffic open in each direction.
Full Story: Reminder: ART construction begins Monday
2. Police say big crime at local Wal-Marts is on the rise. Last month, two suspects managed to make of with $2,100 just by asking an unsuspecting cashier to make change. A few weeks later, at the same Wal-Mart on Carlisle and Menaul, two more suspects broke into a jewelry case and stole $1,500 worth of jewelry. The rise in crime has led three local Wal-Mart stores to shorten their hours.
Full story: Albuquerque Wal-Mart stores a target for crime
3. Monday, mostly sunny, windy. Highs in the lower to mid 80’s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph, increasing to west, 20 to 30 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 40 mph. Monday night, mostly clear, breezy. Lows in the 40’s. Winds west, 15 to 25 mph in the evening.
4. A first time fall ballooning event in Durango is looking to add more balloons and pilots next year. A much smaller version of Balloon Fiesta kicked off its first ever fall Balloon Rally. Fifteen balloonists participated over the weekend. Organizers say they hope to attract at least 25 balloons, if not more, by next year.
Full story: Durango hosts first Animas Valley Balloon Rally
5. A homework hotline is helping students with homework after school hours. It’s called Dial-A-Teacher and operates Monday through Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. There are three teachers on-call every night to help students from Elementary School all the way to college level.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- North Carolina Republican Party office burned; no injuries
- Trump challenges legitimacy of election
- Hillary Clinton sends Bernie Sanders to rally in New Mexico
- Comey: Lack of use-of-force data fuels talk of ‘police bias’
- More arrests made in fatal shooting of Tyson Gay’s daughter
- Iraqi forces launch military push to drive IS from Mosul
- Colleagues help to save firefighter suffering from stroke
- China launches its longest crewed space mission yet
- US removes limits on bringing in Cuban rum, cigars
- Toys for Tots 2016 registration dates announced