The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. A woman accused in connection with the deadly armed robbery of a young veteran is out of jail. Police say Matthew Chavez shot and killed Tyler Lackey at a Wells Fargo ATM near Gibson and Yale in February. Veronica Trimble walked out of MDC Thursday night after the DA dropped charges of helping with the robbery, citing a lack of evidence. In court documents, an assistant DA says key witnesses didn’t show up for interviews despite subpoenas and attempts to contact them.
2. Former New Mexico Miss Teen USA is speaking out about accusations from fellow competitors who claim Donald Trump “walked into their dressing room” during the 1997 pageant. Five teen beauty queens have come forward telling “Buzzfeed News” they were changing their clothes. But Victoria Hughes of Las Cruces, says she “personally didn’t see anything that night.” Trump is denying he did anything wrong.
3. Friday, mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70’s to lower 80’s. Friday night, mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. Transportation workers plan to install 13 more electronic signs on Albuquerque streets in the next few months to make sure drivers know about crashes, closures or severe weather on I-25 or I-40. The State Department of Transportation says they’ll help drivers make decisions to enter the freeway or not before they get stuck.
5. Some Albuquerque Public Schools students are helping the school district shape next year’s cafeteria menu. Over Fall Break, kids got to give their two-cents. Pizza got a thumbs up vote. Burritos? A thumbs down.
Full story: APS invites students to vote on cafeteria food
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Robbery suspect leads police on chase, car catches fire after crash
- APD: Property crime down at 2016 Balloon Fiesta
- Clinton plots a ‘do no harm’ campaign amid Trump whirlwind
- Honda recalling 2016 Civic for faulty parking brakes
- Thieves steal empty gun cases from Albuquerque pawn shop
- Lawsuit filed against former teacher accused of sexual abuse
- Northwest Albuquerque neighborhood on edge after creepy clown sighting
- App developed in Albuquerque providing access to dozens of gyms
- Wind, rain wallop Pacific Northwest
- Thai king’s body at Grand Palace for people to pay respects
- Samsung Note 7 recall to cost at least $5.3 billion
- Albuquerque BioPark Zoo’s African crested porcupine dies
- UNM Basketball gears up for Lobo Howl