The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The streets are quiet once again after dozens of protesters took to the streets following the mistrial of two officers accused of murder. About 40 of them, marching, holding signs, demanding justice for homeless camper James Boyd. For the most part, things stayed peaceful but when confronted by officers in riot gear, protesters became angry, yelling “Jail killer cops.” No arrests or injuries were reported.
2. Albuquerque’s mayor is proposing a 14 point plan that includes putting retired officers back on the streets. But instead of working as cops, they will be unarmed Community Response Specialists to handle certain calls and conduct CSI operations on certain types of crimes. The mayor is also asking voters to approve a constitutional amendment to keep some suspects locked up without bond.
3. Thursday, mostly sunny. Highs in the mid 70’s to lower 80’s. Thursday night, clear. Lows in the 40’s.
4. Two burglars caught on video are still on the run, and police are asking for help. Police say the two were caught on video in May rummaging through cars in the Foothills. One suspect appears to be armed with a gun. Police say both suspects appear to be in their 20’s. Anyone with information is asked to call police.
5. University of New Mexico students are still pushing for diaper changing tables in all restrooms, including men’s. UNM officials say they just don’t have the money for it, but will consider it as they start construction on campus. This, after the student senate passed a bill requesting the changing tables to follow suit with the “BABIES Act” signed by President Obama.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Victoria Martens’ murder suspect to appear in court
- Trial set for man accused of killing a Hatch Police officer
- Mentally ill man on roof sparks mental health discussion
- Police: Man with assault rifle, body armor shot 2 officers
- Wells Fargo CEO is out as bank grapples with sales scandal
- New allegations of sexual assault emerge against Trump
- Gary Johnson to complete 70 mile bike ride
- Albuquerque aquarium to host ‘Star Wars’ themed event
- Vote to help Alamogordo police get a K-9 unit
- Don’t think twice, it’s all right: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Lit