The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. People continue reacting to the mistrial for Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez. Hours after the jury failed to come to a unanimous decision on the second degree murder charges for the killing of homeless camper James Boyd, Defense Attorney Sam Bregman said that anyone considering retrying should think twice before spending tax dollars again. Special Prosecutor Randy McGinn said she isn’t surprised by the split decision, and it proves just how polarizing the issue has been for the community.
2. Starting Monday, people shopping along Central from Broadway to Nob Hill won’t pay to park. The city says it wants to make it easier for drivers during the construction of the controversial ART project. The city says the free parking will only be good through the fall of 2017,when the project is done. Parking enforcement officers will still be ticketing people who park for too long.
3. Wednesday, mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70’s to lower 80’s. Wednesday night, mostly clear, windy. Lows in the 40’s. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph.
4. You might see a new ad airing Wednesday aimed at stopping texting and driving. It features a mom texting behind the wheel while taking her young kids to soccer practice, leading to a head-on crash. The eye-opening ad is from the New Mexico Department of Transportation and will play on TV and radio throughout next week.
5. Rebel Donut is taking the top honors for Best Donut in New Mexico. “Buzzfeed” named the most delicious donuts from every state. Writers said they were impressed with Rebel’s crazy concoctions and convenient hours.
Full story: Rebel Donuts named best in state
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Hung jury leads to mistrial in Sandy, Perez trial
- Albuquerque students show support for lost classmate
- Fire forces 2 Albuquerque homes to evacuate
- Deputy involved in crash in northwest Albuquerque
- Judge refuses to grant plea deal to convicted murderer
- North Carolina urges more to flee from floods after Matthew
- Comcast fined $2.3M to end probe into mischarging customers
- Local program offering yoga to veterans suffering from PTSD
- Samsung sends fire-proof boxes for Galaxy Note 7 returns
- Ground broken for Facebook data center
- Los Alamos eyes grabbing solar power from building windows
- What happens to items left behind at Balloon Fiesta Park?