The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. In just a few hours, a jury will continue deliberating the fate of two former Albuquerque police officers. Jurors had Monday off because of Columbus Day and went home Friday without reaching a verdict in the murder trial of Dominique Perez and Keith Sandy. They’re deciding whether the two officers committed second-degree murder in the shooting death of James Boyd.
2. A North Valley community is on edge after being terrorized by a pair of gun-wielding car burglars. They were caught on surveillance video on September 18th in the Los Poblanos Orchards neighborhood. That night four cars were hit. One witness heard a car alarm followed by a gunshot. They would find a bullet had been fired into a home. Deputies are looking for a white, four door diesel truck seen speeding out of the area.
3. Tuesday, mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 70’s to lower 80’s. Tuesday night, mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. Helping after Hurricane Matthew with resources in storm-affected areas stretched thin. United Blood Services has issued an urgent call for blood and platelet donations from around the country. They say supplies are critically low and blood centers in the southeast are struggling to collect what they need.
Full story: Blood donations needed after Hurricane Matthew
5. Tuesday, New Mexicans can start casting their votes for the nation’s next president. Early voting gets underway at 8 a.m. at the Clerk’s Annex, 1500 Lomas NW. Tuesday is also the last day to register to vote for the 2016 general election. Registration forms are also available at any County Clerk’s Office and the Secretary of State’s Office.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Suspect mistaken for resident, fools police to make an escape
- Commissioners to discuss minimum wage, Santolina project
- Dakota Access pipeline work to resume in protest area
- Australian opposition decides to sink gay marriage vote
- Chicago students, teachers back to class after strike threat
- Big construction to begin for ART project
- 3 injured in fire at high-rise senior home in Los Angeles
- Albuquerque educator to be honored on Wall of Fame
- Bats at Carlsbad Caverns soon to migrate for winter
- Facebook launches ‘Workplace’ a business version of Facebook
- Local breweries take home awards from brew festival