The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. A CNN poll released overnight shows a majority of debate watchers thought Hillary Clinton won the match up again, but that Donald Trump “exceeded expectations.” The two candidates attacked each other for 90 minutes. Trump apologized for comments heard in a video from 2005 where he described advances on women. Clinton was attached for her use of a private email while she was Secretary of State. The two square off again next week.
2. With Halloween just around the corner, Albuquerque police are warning people to keep clown masks off. This, after officers say three teens scared an employee at a Babies R’ Us near Eubank and I-40 over the weekend. APD says two 13-year-olds and 14-year-old wore masks, with one of them carrying an airsoft gun. The boys were cited for obstructing traffic on I-40 and were released to their parents.
3. Monday, mostly sunny in the morning, then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning, highs in the mid 70’s to lower 80’s. Monday night, mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. Albuquerque’s Animal Welfare Department is preparing for another training course for pit bull owners this Saturday. The director says the breed fills 20 to 30 percent of its shelters, and because they’re often seen as “aggressive” they’re harder to adopt out. During October, volunteers teach pit bull owners important skills and local stores donate treats and training tools.
5. Two local balloon racers are celebrating a big win. Peter Cuneo and Barbara Fricke won the America’s Challenge Gas Balloon Race after landing near Monroe City, Missouri. Their winning distance, 866 miles.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Local Republicans and Democrats react to second presidential debate
- Voter registration deadline approaches on Tuesday
- German police arrest Syrian man wanted in alleged bomb plot
- Father: Suspect in officers’ slayings wanted to shoot police
- Trump Taj Mahal closes after 26 years; 5th casino casualty
- Reports: Samsung temporarily halts Galaxy Note 7 output
- Missiles fired from rebel-held Yemen land near US destroyer
- Santa Fe sandwich shop blindsided by lawsuit from coffee chain
- Kansas sheriff’s deputy kidnapped, sexually assaulted
- Thousands of volunteers work behind the scenes at Balloon Fiesta
- Albuquerque park once littered with broken galls gets makeover