ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) — A judge has set a trial date for the trio charged in the rape and murder of 10-year-old Victoria Martens for a year from now.
Victoria’s mom Michelle Martens, her boyfriend, Fabian Gonzales and his cousin, Jessica Kelley, are all facing several charges including child abuse resulting in death in connection to Victoria’s murder.
Friday, a judge set the trial date for all three on October 2, 2017. Their attorneys have until mid-April to decide whether to break up the defendants and try them individually. If that happens the trials will happen one at a time in October, November and December.
The trial is expected to last about two weeks.
- Prosecutors ask to search cellphones of suspects in Victoria Martens’ murder case
- Judge denies venue change but separates trials for suspects in Victoria Martens’ case
- State files motion to separate murder trials in Victoria Martens’ case
- CYFD looks into program to teach students about child abuse
- Community dedicates tree to 10-year-old Victoria Martens