The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. It’s sentencing day for the third and final teen convicted in the brutal murders of two homeless men. Nathaniel Carrillo pleaded “no contest” to three charges several months back for his role in beating deaths of Allison Gorman and Kee Thompson. Carrillo, along with two other teens, beat the men with bricks and cinder blocks while they were sleeping. Carrillo now faces more than 25 years in prison.
2. Tuesday, sunny with highs in the upper 60’s to mid 70’s. Winds shifting to west 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Tuesday night, clear with lows in the mid 30’s to lower 40’s.
3. The city says changes are on the way for one of the most dangerous intersections in Albuquerque. Between 2009 and 2014, 40 pedestrians and bicyclists combined were hit by cars at Central and San Mateo. The city says the new Albuquerque Rapid Transit project will now address most of the problems which calls for a bus stop in the middle of Central by the intersection.
4. The creepy clown craze sweeping the nation has people on edge in Hobbs. Police say they haven’t had any confirmed clown sightings, but they’re worried about a post circulating on social media that says clowns are breaking into people’s homes, kidnapping kids and warning people to stay inside. Police say it’s not true and fear the trend will grow as Halloween approaches.
5. Both plans from the Senate and House to fix the state’s budget crisis call for cuts nearly across the board to shore up a nearly $600 million budget shortfall. The House GOP’s plan takes away the proposed Senate cuts from CYFD and State Police, and hits universities a little harder. Democrats say that attack only hurts students. The House stopped work until Wednesday.
Full story: House GOP lays out its budget plan
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Social Hub: #BalloonFiesta Day 4
- Sandy, Perez murder trial to resume Tuesday
- Victim’s mother breaks silence after suspect asks for charges to be dropped
- Hurricane Matthew makes landfall in vulnerable Haiti
- Pence hopes he and Kaine debate own records
- US official: Hackers targeted election systems of 20 states
- Taco Tuesday: Score on crunchy deals in honor of National Taco Day
- Balloon Fiesta pilot to fly hand stitched balloon in competition