The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. The man who killed Rio Rancho Police Officer Gregg Benner during a traffic stop will learn if he’ll spend the rest of his life behind bars without parole. Andrew Romero was convicted last week by a jury. His former girlfriend, Tabitha Littles, who testified against him in trial, will also be sentenced. She’s facing up to 16 years in prison.
Full Story: Rio Rancho cop killer to be sentenced Friday
2. State lawmakers are heading to Santa Fe Friday morning to tackle the budget crisis in a special session. The budget has taken a huge hit because of New Mexico’s struggling economy. The governor is against any tax hikes. She’s also calling for lawmakers to discuss bringing back the death penalty, especially in cases involving the murders of children or police officers.
3. Friday, partly cloudy with scattered rain showers in the morning. Then scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the 70’s. Friday night, partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the mid 40’s to lower 50’s.
4. Expect more delays on Paseo del Norte on your drive to work or school Friday. Crews have spent the last few months repaving, replacing guardrails and more between Coors and Jefferson. The Department of Transportation says construction should wrap up early Saturday morning before the Balloon Fiesta crowds hit the road.
5. This year’s State Fair appears to be a hit. More than 497,000 people were at Expo New Mexico for the festivities this month. That’s nearly 37,000 more than last year. While weather caused a few slow days early on, attendance picked up later in the week.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- More witnesses to testify in Sandy, Perez trial
- Israelis, world leaders gather for Peres funeral
- After fatal train crash, investigators seek answers
- Hearing set for teen held in South Carolina school shooting
- Tulsa officer expected to plead not guilty to manslaughter
- House lawmakers heap blistering criticism on Wells Fargo CEO
- Albuquerque woman on mission to expose two burglars
- PNM takes rate increase issue to NM Supreme Court
- Law enforcement officials prepare for Balloon Fiesta
- Balloon Fiesta kicks off with Albuquerque Aloft event