Open space officer takes the stand in Sandy, Perez trial

Open space officer takes the stand in Sandy, Perez trial

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – As the first week of the trial for two former Albuquerque police officer wraps up, another officer took the stand Friday saying he actually considered shooting homeless camper James Boyd that day.

The Albuquerque Police Department Open Space Officer who first encountered James Boyd says he felt unsafe, but one thing stopped him from pulling the trigger.

“Is it fair to say that you were willing to risk your own safety to avoid the negative media attention that might follow you if you had shot?” asked the defense.

“That’s very correct to say that…to um to prevent that, yeah,” said the open space officer.

The open space officer told the jury he didn’t shoot because he was protecting his family from potential aftermath. Instead, he backed away from James Boyd and called backup.

It would be later that night after an hours long standoff that officers Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez fired shots killing Boyd.

Friday, the open space officer said Boyd came at him with his pocket knives, demonstrating it to the jury.

Prosecutors have said APD escalated the situation that day creating the danger. They pointed out the open space officer was confronted with a similar situation, but didn’t shoot Boyd like Sandy and Perez did.

Friday afternoon, an APD detective who led the shooting investigation took the stand for the third day in a row.

The defense attempted to poke holes in the prosecution’s case, reading their opening statements to the detective.

“Keith Sandy, he was not dispatched to the scene where the shooting took place but overheard something on the radio, and on his own assembled a team of his rope members and went out to the scene, would you agree that that’s truthful,” asked the defense.

“No, he was contacted by radio control,” answered the detective.

The detective also told the jury Sandy never told any officers to leave the scene so he could take over, adding that it was another officer in charge of the planning that day.

The Special Prosecutor fired back saying Sandy was dispatched, but then minutes later told he wasn’t needed anymore. She also said his only duty that day was to bring a taser shot gun to the scene.

The trial resumes Monday. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s