Defense questions APD lead investigator on James Boyd killing

APD lead investigator resumes testimony in Sandy, Perez trial


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Albuquerque Police Department’s lead investigator of the killing of James Boyd was on the stand for a second day.

Prosecutors continue to question Detective Geoffery Stone about the planning and discussion that took place during and after the standoff in the Foothills involving Boyd and Albuquerque police.

Detective Stone said he only heard Keith Sandy and a couple other officers discuss different options on how to end the hours long standoff with Boyd. But the detective said he never heard any actual plans.

The prosecution has said Sandy unnecessarily escalated the situation, and that he and Dominique Perez shot Boyd when they didn’t need to.

Thursday, the detective also said Sandy told him it was no accident Boyd was shot.

“He said he made the decision to shoot,” said Detective Stone. “And that investigating a homicide indicates what as far as a person’s intent,” asked Special Prosecutor, Randi McGinn. “His intent was to shoot James Boyd,” answered the detective.

The defense doesn’t claim it was an accident. But says both Sandy and Perez fired shots to protect a K-9 officer who got too close to Boyd as he held two pocket knives.

Late Thursday afternoon, the defense finally got a turn to question Detective Stone.

“You would agree with me that you had the opportunity to ask any question you wanted of Officer Perez,” asked Defense Attorney, Luis Robles. “That’s true,” answered Detective Stone.

Perez’s Defense Attorney made it clear that the former officer volunteered and agreed to do an interview after the shooting.

Detective Stone also said Perez never made a statement in the interview that contradicted any of the evidence.

The testimony went by slowly as more than a dozen times throughout the day, attorneys approached the judge’s bench to hold private conferences to discuss what evidence can and cannot be shown to the jury.

The defendants waited, for nearly 20 minutes in one instance, before testimony resumed.

In total, those private talks took up about an hour and a half of the time in court on Thursday. Topics sparking bench conferences included Boyd’s criminal history, most of which is supposed to be off limits.

Keith Sandy’s Attorney has not questioned the detective yet. Detective Stone is expected to take the stand again Friday morning. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Users who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s