The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. Jurors in the murder trial against two former Albuquerque police officers are expected to see lapel video from the moment James Boyd was shot in the Foothills. A policing expert is also set to finish testifying in court. Both sides gave their opening statements Monday. Prosecutors say Boyd was getting ready to surrender when former officers Keith Sandy and Dominique Perez killed him. The defense argues they had no choice but to shoot.
2. The man accused of placing bombs in New York City and New Jersey is now in a hospital. Ahmad Khan Rahami, an Afghan immigrant, is also facing charges of attempted murder after a shootout with two police officers. Federal prosecutors are preparing a list of terrorism charges against the 28-year-old, saying they’ve directly linked him to explosions in both New York and New Jersey over the weekend, and five more bombs found near a New Jersey train station. Investigators are also looking for two other men seen in surveillance video.
3. Tuesday, partly cloudy in the morning, then mostly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 80’s to lower 90’s. Tuesday night, mostly cloudy with isolated showers. Lows in the upper 50’s to lower 60’s.
4. A New Mexico teen is making history. Anissa Martinez, 18, is set to become the first female from New Mexico to enlist in the United States Army and fight next to men in combat. Martinez is an Española Valley High School grad. Since the military dropped its gender-based restrictions last year, women have been slowly integrating into combat arms units.
Full Story: Teen to make military history for New Mexico
5. Sample some locally-grown food while helping the Albuquerque BioPark. Tickets for the Heritage Farm Harvest Dinner in October are now on sale. Guests get to sample the fare grown there, including a four course meal and dessert.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- City councilors question Albuquerque police chief about special report
- Fight between inmates breaks out at MDC
- Syria cease-fire falters amid deadly strike on aid convoy
- George H.W. Bush said to be voting for Clinton
- Video shows Tulsa man had hands up before police shooting
- Mother of Baby Brianna to be released from prison this month
- Fallen state police officer’s memorial damaged repeatedly
- Classes canceled at Eisenhower Middle School over bomb scare
- Voting postcards sent to thousands as reminder to register
- Heavy Albuquerque Rapid Transit construction to start in October
- Albuquerque residents encouraged to help city clean ahead of Balloon Fiesta
- Balloon Museum hosting ‘Paint Night and Balloon Glow’ event