The 5 Facts You Need to Know
1. All three suspects in the death of 10-year-old Victoria Martens are expected to appear in court Friday. Victoria’s mother, Michelle Martens, her boyfriend, Fabian Gonzales and his cousin, Jessica Kelley are all facing murder charges. Martens was found dead in the Albuquerque apartment she shared with her mother last month. The hearing is set for Friday morning at 8:30 a.m.
2. Police have a stolen van back, but they’re still looking for three people accused of stealing it and running the owner over in the process. Albuquerque police say the victim heard his van starting outside the house he was working at near Griegos and 12th Street Friday morning. Neighbors say they heard yelling and saw the man chasing the van. At last check, he is in critical condition. The van was found Thursday night in a neighborhood near Unser and Montano.
3. Friday, mostly sunny with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70’s to mid 80’s. Friday night, partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower to mid 50’s.
4. With just over two weeks to go until this year’s Balloon Fiesta, Sandia Pueblo officials have changed their minds. Last week, the pueblo announced it would no longer allow hot air balloon landings on tribal land. Now, landings are being permitted for, “only final and necessary landings.” Pilots will also have to inform the pubelo before they land and only a single chase crew will be allowed to come get them.
5. Can you go for an hour without water? The Water Utility Authority is challenging New Mexicans to turn off their faucets, hoping to remind people that it’s important to fund water infrastructure. If you participate, you’ll be entered in a raffle for a rain barrel.
The Morning’s Top Stories
- Suspect in Victoria Martens’ murder admits to violating probation
- Fight continues over what jury will hear in Sandy, Perez trial
- Police investigating downtown Albuquerque shooting
- Albuquerque woman gets life in prison for death of 4-year-old
- Los Lunas police search for 3 suspects in attempted car jacking
- Lockheed Martin to lay off 300 employees in Albuquerque
- Beetle released to help ecosystem could hurt endangered bird
- Newspaper endorses Gary Johnson for president in historic move
- Health officials investigating cases of crypto in New Mexico
- Navy: Pilot error primary cause of fatal Blue Angels crash
- US regulators: Official recall of 1M Samsung Note 7 phones
- Albuquerque zoo to celebrate ‘World Rhino Day’
- Albuquerque native films country music video in New Mexico